Whew…busy weeks put even a healthy lifestyle believer/liver/teacher to the test!
While busy schedules often result in less time for meal preparation and/or less energy to invest into cooking or hitting the gym, looking after ourselves is a non-negotiable. Without properly caring for our bodies, we let the stress of life wear us down! If we “re-fuel” with junk, we do not get the nutrients needed to keep our bodies in fighting mode! Without exercising our bodies, we become lethargic and unenergized…which doesn’t let us achieve our full potential…or put our best foot forward!
So…when life throws you a crazy schedule…try a few of my favorite strategies to stay on track! Fuel efficiently and your body and your health will thank you for it!
- Planning makes perfect: Don’t leave your food to chance! Pack snacks to fuel you throughout the day. Attending a workshop or conference? Don’t expect to have healthy choices provided–instead come armed with your own fruit, yogurt, trail mix and other easily portable snack options! Leaving your food choices up to temptation…will only backfire with the sweet treats left out at meetings!
- Something is better than Nothing! Feeling the time crunch? Don’t have time for your normal 1hr workout? Grab your sneakers and hit up the sidewalks for a 30min power walk instead! Only have 10min? Make it count! Pound out some intervals and full-body strength moves (i.e. push ups)! Some movement is better than no movement!
- Hydrate…with water! Skip the high calorie drinks (pop, speciality coffees, alcohol, etc.) and choose water instead! Fatigue, headaches and “hunger” can all be symptoms of needing more water!
- Keep your fridges/freezer stocked!When your schedule is less crazy, cook in bulk! Store individually portioned items for quick use! Soups, chilis and lasagnas are easily reheated for a quick & healthy meal! Keep your fridge stocked with easy grab items–baby carrots, fruit, cheese wedges, yogurts and more!
- Think outside the box! It doesn’t always have to be a typical “meal” while on the run–a granola bar, yogurt and fruit contains three food groups for a quick, portable and balanced meals! Crackers, cheese & veggie sticks are another of my quick grabs!
Choose to be a healthier you!