Chilly fall air = soup season has arrived!!!
For those of you non-veggie fans, soups can be a great way to cram lots of goodness into one bowl! Carrots, corn, potato, squash, tomatoes…the list goes on! For those of us who love our veggies, soups can be a great way to experiment with new flavours & textures! Whether you love your veggies or not, soup is also a great way to save time for those busy lunches! Throw a pot of soup together on Sunday and you have quick, easy & nutritious lunches ready for the week!
Creamy Carrot Curry Soup:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 pounds of carrots, scrubbed but unpeeled, cut into ½ inch thick rounds
- 11/2 tbsp curry powder
- 11/2 tsp ground ginger
- 5 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup plain non fat yogurt or light coconut milk
- Salt and freshly ground pepper as desired
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, celery, garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots and stir well.
- Stir in the curry powder and ginger. Stir constantly for 30 seconds.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low and partially cover the pot. Simmer until the carrots are very tender, about 30 minutes.
- In batches, transfer the soup to a blender, process until smooth and pour the pureed soup into a large bowl. (If you have a hand blender you can puree the soup right in the pot.)
- Stir in the yogurt or light coconut milk. If a thinner soup is desired add additional broth. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Makes 8 servings
Nutrition Information Per Serving:
132 calories, 7g protein, 3.8g fat (1g saturated), 18g carbohydrate, 425mg sodium, 3.7g fibre