January is a crazy time of year for those of us in the “Health Industry!” When my schedule gets crazy, the first things that seem to go out of whack are my normal workout routines (don’t worry…fur-baby still gets her daily exercise time) and my food prep! (Yes, it happens to the best of us!)
After ~2 weeks of quick-grab, low-prep foods…it was time to get back on track! I was due for a Sunday morning of food prepping! If it’s not already done, when you’re in a rush, the good stuff doesn’t happen! Under times of stress, low quality fuel worsens the stressed situation! Increased stress = increased cortisol = increased fat storage! Not good! Not to mention a whack of other side affects–interrupted sleep schedules, anxiety, tension, digestion problems, mood swings…the list goes on!
Here was one of the results! Adapted from an energy bar recipe from my new fav read “The Thrive Diet!” I also tackled Oatmeal Berry Muffins & Curry Vegetable (sweet potato, carrots, red lentils…yum) Soup!
- 1 cup pitted prunes
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 1/2 cup ground flax
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup toasted walnut pieces
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- sea salt to taste (about 1/4 tsp)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- Using a food processor, combine all of the ingredients except for the coconut. Process until almost smooth (for a chunky texture, process for less time!)
- Remove from food processor and stir in coconut.
- Form mixture into a ball with hands, place on waxed paper. Place another piece of waxed paper on top & use a rolling pin to flatten into a rectangular shape.
- Cut into 12 bars, wrap separately and place in the fridge/freezer. (They won’t freeze solid, so you can grab & go!)
Analysis coming soon! More recipes also on their way!