This makes me SO happy! Thanks to the ever famous “Uncle Gigi” (as our kid team here at Bent Fork Nutrition refers to him)….we have a REAL recipe tool for you all!
This sauce is literally a game changer in our family! In fact, it’s preferred now to any “meat sauce” I used to make! Red lentils are powerhouses in nutrition- full of fibre and protein, not to mention easy on the budget! My kiddos don’t love “chunks,” so a quick puree with the immersion blender at the end, results in a nice smooth sauce! (Please note: the lentils can make this sauce very thick…I often add a little water each time I reheat a batch of frozen sauce.)
Take the servings as an estimate….pending what is in my fridge to use up, this sauce can grow/shrink with each batch! It makes enough to freeze and store in smaller batches, perfect for those quick weeknight suppers!
Stay tuned while I load up all of my favorite family recipes!!!
- 1 bag frozen vegetables, Spaghetti mix (Arctic Gardens) OR 4 cups diced veggies
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2tsp chili powder
- 1tsp oregano
- Pinch salt/pepper
- 1tbsp brown sugar (optional)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (no salt added)
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 cup red lentils + 2 cups water
- 2tbsp chia seeds
- Heat oil and garlic in a large saucepan. Add frozen (or fresh) vegetables and cook until tender.
- Stir in spices of choice (i.e. chili, oregano, basil, cayenne) and stir until fragrant.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato paste and red lentils (plus water).
- Bring to a simmer for about 20min or until tender. Using a hand immersion blender, puree sauce in pot until smooth.
- Stir in chia seeds, to thicken.
- Serve over zucchini noodles, whole wheat pasta or spaghetti squash!
- Delicious layered in lasagna too!
- Top with Parmesan cheese!